July 24, 2009

Is Twitter Living Up To It's Full Potential?

I love Twitter because it lets me share things with other people that I find interesting and helps me connect with the rest of the world. It's simple and to the point, which makes it appealing to many people because it is easy to use. However, there are so many features that can be added in order to make it so much better.

Trending topics are a list of popular things that are being tweeted by the community. This is good because it shows what means a lot to users. But there are so many useless trending topics. For example, take the almost daily #Goodnight. Is that really relevant? Maybe Twitter could create a filter for all those "Character are you?"s from those annoying quizzes and prevent those useless topics from becoming a huge waste of space. So until there's an amazing blockbuster movie called #FF, twitter should filter out those useless topics that tend to make it to the top of the list.

Maybe they can add an auto refresh too. I'm sick of having to press refresh every minute in order to get updates from my tweeps. For people who think this is annoying, maybe it can even be an option under settings or something of that nature.

I use twitter a lot from my web browser, and I hate it when I can't shorten my url's or text. They can lear a lot from 3rd party developers about shortening, and this could make it easier and faster for someone to post a tweet.

Another thing that Twitter can improve on is making everything fit. I have a 13 inch Macbook, and I always have to scroll down in order to see the last 2 trending topics. It would be a lot easier if everything fir on 1 page, and I can see everything just by taking a quick glance.

I realize that I'm really picky, but these are all tiny details that can add up and turn new users away from a fantastic service that has a lot of potential. I find that twitter is great, but there's so much room for improvement.

P.S. Please follow me. I'm @mtl_zack!

No comments:

Post a Comment